Monday, October 4, 2010

Summer Sounds from the Sea

I've been traveling, and with the adventure comes a great playlist. Here are a couple of songs I like to groove and move to.

Caro Emerald- Back It Up



This lady sounds kind of Corrinne Bailey Rae- and I love the danceable groove to this song. Jazzy chord progressions and modern production makes this song extremely catchy. I would not be surprised if it made top 40 on the US charts a year from now.

Yolanda Be Cool- We No Speak Americano



Hopefully that link works in other countries- playability varies from country to country... and this type of bullshittery is the reason that the Record Industry is BROKEN.

However, this song is extremely catchy.... and ironic as it gets. They're saying that they don't speak English- but they are sampling jazz (American music). The band is from Australia and it really makes you realize what a great language Italian is for music. According to their Wikipedia entry this song reached the top 100 in the US Charts- surprising because it is not in English.

Stromae- Alors On Danse



This song was played on every Croatian radio station, kids camp, and dance club while I was there. It is undoubtedly catchy, and it makes you want to do just what the song tells you- Alors On Danse.

Paloma Faith- Upside Down



Okay, auto tune aside... this song is extremely catchy. I like the call and response between the Ms. Faith and her backup singers. Again, the retro style seems to be selling extremely well these days.

Aloe Blacc- I Need A Dollar



Okay... forgive the flatline at the beginning of this recording. At least you know his voice isn't processed, right? This song is so honest, and catchy that I was humming it most of the summer. Plus it's extremely true! (hey hey)

In trying to research this song I realized it's the theme song for HBO's How to Make it in America... I haven't had the pleasure of seeing anything more than the pilot but I enjoyed the little bit that I have seen!

Shirley Basey- Get This Party Started




Sometimes the cover is better than the original. Go get 'em Dame Shirley!

No comments:

Post a Comment