Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Grey Boy All Stars- The Fillmore

A friend of mine was kind enough to get comp tickets to see the Grey Boy All Stars at the Fillmore. I've been a fan of Karl Denson for quite some time (The Bridge is a great record if you're curious). My sources tell me that Mr. Denson is partially responsible for Lenny Kravitz's make a great hook and exploit the hell out it songwriting style. (They toured together in the 90s)



The area around the Fillmore has changed quite a bit in the three years since I was there... it's an amazing venue! The room has about 1200 capacity that sounds and feels like a renovated movie theater. I guess the show only sold about 800 tickets- but the room felt full of energy and there was plenty of room for dancing hippies.

Grey Boy All Stars consist of professional musicians (I knew about the Grey Kid and Karl D before going to the show) who write funky jazz-influenced grooves. I was particularly fond of the version of 'How Glad I Am' which was totally different from what I'm familiar with on their CD.

Many thanks to my friend for getting me on the list- I would have paid the ticket price just to see this show! Judging by the crowd, it could have been publicized better on jambase (or, perhaps there were other shows of a similar genre playing in SF that night)

Karl Denson
Grey Boy All Stars
How Glad I Am
Jam Base
The Fillmore

1 comment:

  1. I <3 Karl D! Such a nice guy too. He's an inspiration. Wish I coulda been there! Nice write up EBB!

    ReplyDelete