Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hockey- Bottom of the Hill

I went to Bottom of the Hill last night to see a band, Hockey perform. The show was sold out, the venue sounded amazing, and the band had incredible stage presence. I really enjoyed seeing a trendy indie show with simple, layered melodies (and catchy click tracks) that came through clear as a bell on the venue's PA.
There was one thing that I noticed, though.... Hockey cannot end a song. Every song made the crowd want to rock and sway, but when it came time to end the song the band would drop the beat and the great groove they established would suddenly stop. I loved the simple blues structures- and the singer is talented as hell. I hope somebody teaches them the value of an ending (ii V I) cadence, and soon because I would love to see them perform again.

Check out future shows at Bottom of the Hill
Hockey's website
Their big song, Too Fake on youtube (note: I tried to include a music video sample but EMI has blocked embedding)

Ending Cadences

No comments:

Post a Comment