Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Willie Nelson, and why Country/Reggae is a brilliant idea.

Country music will win me over. I don't mean the processed pop stuff, but the bluesy, authentic, rebellious Country Music. I love that with three or four verses a writer can create a complex story with characters I truly feel for.

I've always liked Willie Nelson because he got his start writing songs for others ("Crazy" for Patsy Cline, "Night Life" for Ray Price) but was so good at doing his job he was able to cross over into success on his own (thanks to his version of "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain")



Willie (as I like to call him) has managed to stay in the public eye for decades as a songwriter, performer, actor, and activist. He's pretty vocal about the importance of adopting a sustainable way of life, and why sweet sensimilia sings to him... one has to admire his honesty (unless you're the government). In fact, he was one of the first artists to put together a 'Green Tour' where they used solar lights, and offset their carbon footprint by planting trees.

Here's where he gets REALLY interesting to me. In 2004 he released a (delayed) country/ reggae album, and has since established himself in the World Music community. At first I balked at the idea of hippies and hicks collaborating musically... but the more I listen, the more it makes sense. Both genres focus on the plight of every man, and both genres are able to reach a global audience to whom they express their politics, enthusiasm, and good vibes.

I tried to make a mix to test out my country + reggae idea out, and I would encourage anybody else to, as well.

Willie Nelson on Imeem
Willie's Website

my country/reggae mix

No comments:

Post a Comment